Has it been almost four months since we last shook out the toaster? Some of these crumbs may be a little stale, but lets recap:
That’s it for now. I’ll be looking for ideas for the next batch.
At this time of year the webOS toaster is popping up a lot of hot cross buns, but any time of year is the right time for toasted fruit buns! Let’s shake out some crumbs:
And we’re all done and ready to heat up more freshly baked webOS news. Farewell until next time!
This weeks toasting menu: Welsh Rarebit because, why wouldn’t you? While it heats up, here are your news crumbs. There’s nothing cheesey about these items:
- What is this? It’s not webOS TV! It’s Enyo running on the Matchstick streamer as tweeted by Andre Garzia. It’s running on FirefoxOS, but who knows, maybe that thing could run Open webOS one day?
- LG mobile phone sales were up 24% last year. They shipped 59.1billion. LG’s growing smartphone sales offset loss taken from plasma TVs | The Verge.
- You may have noticed that Whatsapp have been messing about lately and webOS is affected. Here is Andre Garzia again: WhatsApp doesn’t understand the web. There seems to be some good news. Although amoralico, the developer of the webOS client will no longer be developing it, he has released the latest code to the community and there is an open-source client on another platform that works. Comparing code and updating MojoWhatsup should be possible. Of course, other messaging services exist and Whatsapp may have damaged themselves with their recent moves.
- Meanwhile, over at Pocketnow: Six years later we’re still writing about webOS. Well, quite! But there’s no mention of LuneOS until you get to the comments.
- So these years later, would you be expecting hardware news? There is some! Forum user davodego has posted links to a device repair service in Germany. Here’s the direct link. If you have an unused or damaged device, you might consider donating it for spares.
- How about actual new webOS hardware? Forum member, Sumy has made some batteries! Testing is in progress…
That’s it for now, I smell toasting cheese…
It is said that a watched pot never boils, but will a webOS toaster send a pop-up toaster alert to a webOS watch when the toast is ready? Only time will tell…
Whatever you use to measure time, make the most of yours in 2015 with our best wishes for the New Year.
So much has been happening lately, it’s hard to tell what’s a crumb, crisis or great news! Here is a selection:
- 72ka updates his Google maps app to 0.3.4. Check the webOS Nation App Gallery. A Preware feed update is hopefully due soon.
- In his day job as a colour grader, Project Macaw developer, David Cole has won a Hollywood Post Alliance award for his work on television pilot, “Reign“. Here is a picture of him on stage. Congratulations David!
- In other movie news, last week saw the 100th anniversary of the birth of film star Hedy Lamarr. Here’s why she is relevant to this site.
- Another legend! Jason Robitaille, author of Homebrew gateway program, webOS Quick Install, will be updating it and including the novacom drivers. Jason plans LuneOS support as he awaits delivery of a Nexus 4. Congratulations are also due to Jason for his recent graduation.
- There are problems with Photos posted to Facebook from the webOS app. The problem seems to be at the Facebook end and there’s no solution yet. Here’s the thread to watch.
- Forum user, Mazzinia has been scouring the corners of the internet for webOS projects. Here’s some interesting and potentially useful stuff: Business software, Music, Go agent proxy service, Python for webOS, Jumpcore C++ game framework, Bluespice media wiki.
With this many crumbs, it’s clear that webOS is very far from being brown bread.