A little over a week ago, the Mobile Nations community lost a long-time forum member and moderator known to us as OldSkoolVWLover. His real name was Josh. He passed away on the 7th of December, 2014 at the all too early age of 33.
Accuweather changed their links and discontinued their webOS redirects for the app. The TouchPad app seems largely unaffected but the phones app was rendered broken and bleeding as of a few days ago.
Ah! There’s nothing like the aroma of freshly baked news to draw the readers in!
- MojoWhatsup gets an update. It seems that Whatsapp will be implementing end to end security. It remains to be seen what impact this will have on the webOS homebrew app.
- If you are trying to convince yourself that you really need a new TV this month, then you may be able to reduce any buyer’s remorse by checking reviewed.com‘s list of 2014’s best, topped by the 55EA9800 from LG (who also made the runner up).
- As promised, the latest version of webOS Quick Install has arrived. Updates for the Preware domain change, Novacom drivers & LuneOS support are all included.
- In a matching update, Preware feeds have been refreshed, so you should now see the apps added to the webOS Nation app gallery over the last few weeks. Automated updates have just been fixed too.
- Looking to the future, take a look at this prototype app catalogue from forum user and app developer, Warlord9159.
- Finally, don’t panic if you are here looking for the next stable LuneOS build. It has so many major updates that the whole stability thing is taking a little longer.
Don’t forget all the above accept donations (A large & mandatory one in the case of the TV). Even pivotCE could do with the occasional crust.
I finally put a touchstone in my car. For those counting at home (minus my almost two year departure from webOS to Android), it took me 3 years to work up the chutzpah to try the install. But I did it. What took me so long? I’m glad you asked.
So much has been happening lately, it’s hard to tell what’s a crumb, crisis or great news! Here is a selection:
- 72ka updates his Google maps app to 0.3.4. Check the webOS Nation App Gallery. A Preware feed update is hopefully due soon.
- In his day job as a colour grader, Project Macaw developer, David Cole has won a Hollywood Post Alliance award for his work on television pilot, “Reign“. Here is a picture of him on stage. Congratulations David!
- In other movie news, last week saw the 100th anniversary of the birth of film star Hedy Lamarr. Here’s why she is relevant to this site.
- Another legend! Jason Robitaille, author of Homebrew gateway program, webOS Quick Install, will be updating it and including the novacom drivers. Jason plans LuneOS support as he awaits delivery of a Nexus 4. Congratulations are also due to Jason for his recent graduation.
- There are problems with Photos posted to Facebook from the webOS app. The problem seems to be at the Facebook end and there’s no solution yet. Here’s the thread to watch.
- Forum user, Mazzinia has been scouring the corners of the internet for webOS projects. Here’s some interesting and potentially useful stuff: Business software, Music, Go agent proxy service, Python for webOS, Jumpcore C++ game framework, Bluespice media wiki.
With this many crumbs, it’s clear that webOS is very far from being brown bread.