C|Net scooped us all with the news that LG is about to release the Urbane LTE webOS smartwatch this year. But this isn’t the webOS watch we saw at CES. It’s the cousin of the LG Urbane which runs Android Wear.
This weeks toasting menu: Welsh Rarebit because, why wouldn’t you? While it heats up, here are your news crumbs. There’s nothing cheesey about these items:
- What is this? It’s not webOS TV! It’s Enyo running on the Matchstick streamer as tweeted by Andre Garzia. It’s running on FirefoxOS, but who knows, maybe that thing could run Open webOS one day?
- LG mobile phone sales were up 24% last year. They shipped 59.1billion. LG’s growing smartphone sales offset loss taken from plasma TVs | The Verge.
- You may have noticed that Whatsapp have been messing about lately and webOS is affected. Here is Andre Garzia again: WhatsApp doesn’t understand the web. There seems to be some good news. Although amoralico, the developer of the webOS client will no longer be developing it, he has released the latest code to the community and there is an open-source client on another platform that works. Comparing code and updating MojoWhatsup should be possible. Of course, other messaging services exist and Whatsapp may have damaged themselves with their recent moves.
- Meanwhile, over at Pocketnow: Six years later we’re still writing about webOS. Well, quite! But there’s no mention of LuneOS until you get to the comments.
- So these years later, would you be expecting hardware news? There is some! Forum user davodego has posted links to a device repair service in Germany. Here’s the direct link. If you have an unused or damaged device, you might consider donating it for spares.
- How about actual new webOS hardware? Forum member, Sumy has made some batteries! Testing is in progress…
That’s it for now, I smell toasting cheese…
The team is growing and LuneOS is improving. We’ve made significant progress this month. We do our best to get a new release out near the first of every month. The holidays put us a week behind but allow us to introduce the latest build, Breve.
It is said that a watched pot never boils, but will a webOS toaster send a pop-up toaster alert to a webOS watch when the toast is ready? Only time will tell…
- Enyo 2.5.1 was released on the 11th of December and has just had an incremental release to 22.214.171.124.
- We have another Chicago meet up on the 11th, 7pm at Moretti’s in Schaumburg. (Note: That’s THIS SUNDAY, not the 15th – which was previously posted in error). New faces are welcome.
- TCL / Alcatel relaunched the Palm brand at CES. The prior speculation in the tech press was a result of this detective work by webOS Nation forum member, ederic, who is now writing for pivotCE too!
- There is some background on the webOS watch excitement from The Wall Street Journal. It seems the plan is to slowly build the eco-system. After the webOS watch, the software on home appliances (toaster?!) is also a possibility. Sadly LG seems to believe that on phones, “everyone expects Android”, so there may be a long wait for that product.
- More Smart Watch news! Metaview has added Pebble compatibility to this app. Give it a try with your Pebble watch.
- Following the death of Josh Chambers (aka OldSkoolVWLover), forum member eblade attended the memorial event and posted this account and photograph.
Whatever you use to measure time, make the most of yours in 2015 with our best wishes for the New Year.