There’s a lot going on with LuneOS and the webOS Ports team this month. We’ve been working a TON on some of the more ambitious parts of the OS. These are huge features that take a lot of time to get right. Because of that, there won’t be a stable build released this month. Read on to see what we’ve been up to.
This weeks toasting menu: Welsh Rarebit because, why wouldn’t you? While it heats up, here are your news crumbs. There’s nothing cheesey about these items:
- What is this? It’s not webOS TV! It’s Enyo running on the Matchstick streamer as tweeted by Andre Garzia. It’s running on FirefoxOS, but who knows, maybe that thing could run Open webOS one day?
- LG mobile phone sales were up 24% last year. They shipped 59.1billion. LG’s growing smartphone sales offset loss taken from plasma TVs | The Verge.
- You may have noticed that Whatsapp have been messing about lately and webOS is affected. Here is Andre Garzia again: WhatsApp doesn’t understand the web. There seems to be some good news. Although amoralico, the developer of the webOS client will no longer be developing it, he has released the latest code to the community and there is an open-source client on another platform that works. Comparing code and updating MojoWhatsup should be possible. Of course, other messaging services exist and Whatsapp may have damaged themselves with their recent moves.
- Meanwhile, over at Pocketnow: Six years later we’re still writing about webOS. Well, quite! But there’s no mention of LuneOS until you get to the comments.
- So these years later, would you be expecting hardware news? There is some! Forum user davodego has posted links to a device repair service in Germany. Here’s the direct link. If you have an unused or damaged device, you might consider donating it for spares.
- How about actual new webOS hardware? Forum member, Sumy has made some batteries! Testing is in progress…
That’s it for now, I smell toasting cheese…
We’ve made significant progress this month and we have been able to fix a lot of outstanding bugs. We do our best to get a new release out near the first of every month. The 1st was in a weekend this month so there was a little delay, but we proudly present our latest release: Caffè Americano or Americano in short.
We concentrated a lot on bug fixing for Americano, but we still have some known bugs left. Mainly we have a critical memory leak on the Touchpad which isn’t fixed yet. With every closed card we lose about 80 MB of memory. We know now where this is coming from and are working on a fix.
Just when you think there could be no more twists in the story, here’s another: Hewlett Packard have delayed shutting down the webOS servers for two months according to an updated email sent out to developers.
Continue reading HP keeps the servers open for another two months