Microsoft recently announced the end of support for older versions of Skype including on it’s own Windows Phone 7 system.
When reports started to be posted about Skype not working on webOS, they were greeted with an air of inevitability. Another bit was falling off the zombie!
There’s not been much popping up from the toaster lately, but there are still a few crumbs to sweep out.
- gizmo21 reported that AVforums had awarded LGwebOs reference status – a quality level for other Smart TV platforms to aim at.
- I thought this happened ages ago, but it seems only Marc Aurelian over at webOS France was paying attention! Fin de support de webOS, Blackberry et Symbian par Phonegap. The end of phonegap support for webOS, Blackberry & Symbian. (en français, naturellement!). This is not necessarily a huge problem as discussed here: Phonegap depreciates webOS.
- Project Macaw updated to version 1.5.4. Find it in Preware, but remember if you want to try this Twitter client for the first time, you need to add the special feed…
- LG’s connect SDK has also had a version update. No, it doesn’t quite work on Legacy webOS, but if you want to make apps that interact with webOS TV’s it’s a must. The new technology in LuneOS means future support is a possibility…
- Finally, the conclusion to an odd part of webOS history: The Chubby Checker court case. The comments section of the article contains all the jokes you are likely to need on this matter.
I suddenly fancy a hot muffin…
2010 was a special year for webOS. It would mark the release of the Pre and Pixi Plus, alongside something special. That something special, would be the Pre successor and the very last smartphone to ever be released, under the “Palm” branding.
The Pre 2, code named “Roadrunner” first appeared in August of 2010, as a rumor but launched in November as a unlocked developer device in the U.S. and finally an actual carrier launch on Verizon in February of 2011.
webOS is all about connectivity. If Chicago is your kind of town, you can breeze into The Windy city, pass through the Cloud Gate and link up with a local area network while enjoying some pizza!
Yes, it’s a webOS meetup and it’s happening this Sunday (13th July), 7.30pm at Moretti’s Ristorante and Pizzeria, Schamburg.
Find the details and Sign up here.
The team at pivotCE remind you that if you are planning a meet up, let us know! We are interested in promoting your events (it might even increase attendance!). We are also interested in reports and pictures from webOS events.
So Murray crashed out of Wimbledon & even in this context, we will draw a veil over the shame of a certain national team. But maybe there’s something to cheer up sport fans of the British Isles?
If you reside in the UK or ROI & are dithering over the purchase of a webOS TV, there is a promotion that might swing it for you, but it finishes by the end of the week (13th July 2014).
LG are running a football world cup promo whereby with a purchase of a new LG TV (make sure you get one that’s running webOS ), LG will gift you a brand spanking new LG G Pad. A marvellous device I must admit, even if it doesn’t run webOS. Full details of the promo can be found here: